Dear SMSV members,
Below are a few updates regarding electives in Singapore, TTSH SIP for 2016 and Contact Singapore Experience@Home for pre-clinical students. Do note that the deadline for the ContactSG attachment is approaching so applications should be lodged as soon as possible.
The first two updates are mainly for soon-to-be final-year medical students, but it may still be useful for students in clinical years to read through and be aware of the updates.
1. General Update on Clinical Electives in Singapore
NUS YLLSoM has finally done away with elective fees for Singapore Citizens and Permanent Residents, which should open up more options for students to pursue an elective at hospitals which do not accept direct applications. However a once-off S$150 application fee applies and students are now required to apply at least 8 months in advance.
In general, we advise that students in their clinical years to plan for their electives as early as possible, as electives at many departments in the various hospitals in Singapore are highly popular.
For your convenience, important links regarding clinical electives in Singapore can be found at this page: http://www.smsanz.sg/
2. Tan Tock Seng Hospital Student Internship Program (for students in or going onto their final year)
TTSH has changed its application process for SIP postings and also made available several posting slots available in the first half of 2016. Details are below and can also be found at the following page: http://www.smsanz.sg/
The TTSH Student Internship Programme (SIP) is targeted at final year medical students, with clinical attachments to core disciplines of General Medicine, General Surgery or Orthopaedic Surgery. The attachment will expose students to the expectations of a House Officer in the Singapore healthcare system and ensure that combination of ward-work and on-call skills are observed and enhanced. To facilitate your learning, you will be given privileges not extended to other overseas elective students, such as access to the electronic medical records systems. You will be expected to perform simple procedures under supervision, attend calls, and assessed by a supervisor at the end of the attachment.
Below are the eligibility criteria for the TTSH Student Internship Program:
- Students are currently in or going onto their final year at a medical school recognised by the Singapore Medical Council (SMC).
- Students are Singapore Citizens, Singapore PRs, or Malaysian Citizens who intend to practice in Singapore upon graduation.
- Posting dates are restricted to those stated by TTSH below and are 4 weeks in duration.
SIP postings in General Medicine, General Surgery and Orthopaedic Surgery are available for the following periods in 2016:
- 18 January 2016 to 12 February 2016
- 15 February 2016 to 11 March 2016
- 14 March 2016 to 08 April 2016
- 11 April 2016 to 06 May 2016
- 09 May 2016 to 03 June 2016
To Apply for the TTSH SIP:
- Go to http://www.ttshppeo.com.sg/
home/medical/electives-for- overseas-medical-students/sip- for-overseas-students and ensure that you meet all requirements. We emphasise that you only apply if you are able to commit to the posting.
- Contact Megala_Devi_KRISHNAN@
ttsh.com.sg with the following details to proceed with your application.
- Full Name
- Medical School
- Year of Study
- Undergraduate/Postgraduate Program
- Nationality (please indicate if you are a Singapore PR)
- Posting Department
- Posting Period
Please apply at least 3 months prior to your planned posting start date. You are advised to apply as early as possible due to limited spaces being available.
3. Contact Singapore Experience@Home (for pre-clinical students)
Experience@Home: Healthcare Services is an observational attachment programme organised by Contact Singapore to give medical students in their pre-clinical years an opportunity to gain a greater understanding the Singapore healthcare system over the summer holidays.
Participating hospitals include Changi General Hospital, Khoo Teck Puat Hospital and Ng Teng Fong General Hospital.
Applications are now open will close on Monday 31 August 2015. We emphasise that you should only apply if you are able to commit to the attachment.
Please visit the following page for details regarding the application process http://www.smsanz.sg/